The Foundation Level qualification is aimed at professionals who need to demonstrate practical knowledge of the fundamental concepts of software testing.
Holders of the Foundation Core certificate are eligible to continue on to higher level software testing qualifications, certifying themselves at the Specialist level, and/or the core Advanced levels followed by the Expert level.
Chapter 1: Fundamentals of Testing
1.1. What is Testing
1.2. Why is Testing Necessary?
1.3. Testing Principles
1.4. Test Activities, Testware, and Test Roles
1.5. Essential Skills and Good Practices in Testing
Chapter 2: Testing Throughout the Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC)
2.1. Testing in the Context of a Software Development Lifecycle
2.2. Test Levels and Test Types
2.3. Maintenance Testing
Chapter 3: Static Testing
3.1. Static Testing Basics
3.2. Feedback and Review Process
Chapter 4: Test Analysis and Design
4.1. Test Techniques Overview
4.2. Black-Box Test Techniques
4.3. White-Box Test Techniques
4.4. Experience-based Test Techniques
4.5. Collaboration-based Test Approaches
Chapter 5: Managing the Test Activities
5.1. Test Planning
5.2. Risk Management
5.3. Test Monitoring, Test Control, and Test Completion
5.4. Configuration Management
5.5. Defect Management
Chapter 6: Test Tools
6.1. Tool Support for Testing
6.2. Benefits and Risks of Test Automation
Holders of the ISTQB® CTFL (Version 4.0) certificate…
- Understand what testing is and why it is beneficial.
- Understand fundamental concepts of software testing.
- Identify the test approach and activities to be implemented depending on the context of testing.
- Assess and improve the quality of documentation.
- Increase the effectiveness and efficiency of testing.
- Align the test process with the software development lifecycle.
- Understand test management principles.
- Write and communicate clear and understandable defect reports.
- Understand the factors that influence the priorities and efforts related to testing.
- Work as part of a cross-functional team.
- Know the risks and benefits related to test automation.
- Identify essential skills required for testing.
- Understand the impact of risk on testing.
- Effectively report on test progress and quality.
In general, the Foundation Tester has acquired the skills necessary to enable further development in the ISTQB certification scheme.